Looking at Dental Implants Versus Dentures
There’s no need to go through life with missing teeth! But recognize that dentures aren’t the only option when it comes to restoring your beautiful smile. Dental implants, which are replacement teeth that are surgically implanted into the jawbone, are another popular option. See below for a comparison of why dental implants versus dentures are the preferred choice of Dr. E and many patients:
Dental Implants Checklist:
- Typically look more natural and more closely mimic your “true” smile
- More comfortable and stable = better biting and chewing capabilities
- Better bone preservation (the implant integrates with your jawbone, keeping the bone healthy and intact)
- Easier maintenance
- Better long-term investment – comes with a higher price tag but can last 20+ years
- Better overall dental health!
- May look and feel more artificial
- May have difficulty chewing certain foods; slippage can be uncomfortable and embarrassing
- Deterioration or recession of the jawbone can occur, compromising the facial structure
- Requires adhesives and creams; removal is necessary for cleaning
- Less expensive initially but need to be replaced more frequently (every 5-9 years) or relined (every 2-4 years)
- Food tends to get trapped, increasing the risk of decay and disease
Are Implants or Dentures Right for You?
The best candidates for dental implants tend to be those patients whose gums and jaw are still healthy. So, your dentists will likely check for healthy gums and good bone density before proceeding with dental implants. Patients with weak jawbones and/or poor gums, or younger patients whose jawbones are still growing, are typically better candidates for dentures. Your dentist will carefully evaluate your condition via exam, X-rays, and perhaps even CT scans, before making a final recommendation.
As you can see, there are multiple benefits when it comes to dental implants. They are a natural, comfortable, and highly durable solution for those seeking to restore their smile and confidence!
Visit Dr. E Cosmetic & Family Dentistry, voted one of the top 5 best Ahwatukee dentists. 4206 E. Chandler Blvd., Suite 20, Phoenix, Arizona.